The PAME-I 2021 meeting will be held online as a virtual meeting via PAME's GoToMeeting System.
PAME I-2020 and its associated expert group pre-meetings will be held online from 25 Jan-5 Feb. 2021. We will use GoToMeeting, hosted by PAME’s account. Below are details on the aim and schedule of the meeting.
The aim of PAME I-2021 Meeting is as follows:
- Agree on projects for inclusion into the PAME Work Plan 2021-2023.
- Agree on deliverables to the Ministerial meeting May 2021 with reference to PAME II-2020 RoDs.
- Agree on updates/status for the next SAO meeting 9-11 March 2021 to include outstanding issues and/or guidance sought from SAOs in preparations for the 2021Ministerial meeting.
Documents requiring decisions from this meeting should be distributed 30 days in advance, or by 7th of January 2021 in accordance with the Arctic Council’s Working Groups Common Operating Guidelines.
Pre-meeting DocumentsPlenary draft agenda and meeting logistics, version 15 January 2021
MPA Expert Group (25 and 26 January)Co-Chairs: Elizabeth McLanahan/USA and Jan Ekebom/Finland
- Monday 25 January 14.00-17.00 (GMT, 3 hours)
- Tuesday 26 January: 14:00- 15:30 (GMT 1.5 Hours)
PAME‘s GoToMeeting System #1
Documents: Summary will be provided under Plenary Agenda 4
- MPA agenda 4.1.1: Oceanographic Connectivity final Report-Sweden
- MPA agenda 4.1.2: Status on the Arctic Protected and Important Areas- 22 Dec 2020
- MPA agenda item 4.1.3: MPA Information Briefs
- MPA Agenda Item 4.1.4:
- Project proposal: Different Ways of Knowing: Applying Indigenous, Local and Scientific Knowledge for Arctic Conservation Planning, submitted by Canada, Finland, Sweden and WWF (7Jan-revised 18 Jan21)
- Project proposal: Review of Ecosystem Status, Human Impacts and Management Measures in the Central Arctic Ocean, submitted by Canada, Finland, Sweden, WWF
- Project Proposal: Joint PAME-CAFF OECM Project submitted by KoD and Canada
- Background document: MPA Activities for PAME 2021-2023 Work Plan
EA Expert Group (26 and 27 January)Co-Chairs: Libby Logerwell/USA and Lis Lindal Jörgensen/Norway
- Tuesday 26 January: 15:30-17:00 (GMT 1.5 hours)
- Wednesday 27 January: 16.00-19.00 (GMT, 3 hours)
PAME‘s GoToMeeting System #2
Documents: Summary to be provided under plenary agenda 8
EA Pre-meeting agenda
EA-EG Pre-Meeting (26-27 Jan) registrations-41 participants
- Agenda item 5.a: EA Progress Report 2019-2021
- Agenda item 5.b (a): Project Plan for EA Framework Revision
- Agenda item 5.b (b): EA activities in 1st draft SAO Report to Ministers (20 Nov) - PAME WP 2021-2023
- Agenda item 5.c: Project Proposal: Review of Ecosystem Status, Human Impacts and Management Measures in the Central Arctic Ocean, submitted by Canada, Finland, Sweden, WWF (refer to same project proposal under MPA pre-meeting agenda Item 4.1.4)
Shipping Expert Group ( 28 and 29 January)Co-chairs: Peter Oppenheimer/USA and Drummond Fraser/Canada
- Thursday 28 January: 14.00-17.15 (GMT, 3 hours)
- Friday 29 January: 14:00- 17:15 (GMT 3 Hours)
- SEG Pre-meeting agenda - 26 January version
- SEG Pre-Meeting (28-29 Jan) registrations-69 participants
- Agenda 3(b)(iii): Sustainable Arctic Shipping - working document version 27.01.2021
- Agenda item 3(c)(iii): Wastewater project update
- Agenda item 3(c)(iii): Approved final draft AMSA Recommendations Matrix
- Agenda item 3(c)(iv): 4th Forum Meeting Summary Report
- Agenda item3(e)(i): ASTD 2019-2021 Summary Report, final draft report 25 jan
- Agenda item 3(e)(ii): Arctic Shipping Status Reports
- Agenda item 3(e)(iii): Final CASA report
- Agenda item 3(e)(v):
- Agenda item 4: Low Impact Shipping Corridors in the Arctic, final report
- Agenda item 4(a): Underwater Noise Phase 1 report - final draft
- Agenda item 4 (c)(ii): Arctic Marine Tourism Report - final draft
- Agenda item 4(d)(i): Implementation of the Polar Code project
- Agenda item 5 (a): Black Carbon project, revised
- Agenda 5(b): Arctic Shipping Status Report #3: Shipping in the Northwest Passage, draft
- Agenda item 5(c): New Low Sulphur Fuels, Fate, and Behavior in Cold Water Conditions, revised project plan by Norway
- Agenda item 5 (f): Underwater noise: Phase 2 draft project plan
- Agenda item 5 (add): CASA Phase 2-project proposal submitted by USA
- Agenda item 5(k): Final PAME II-2020 approved Wastewater survey project proposal-ICE-WWF-CCU
- Agenda item 6(a): Ideas for improving the monthly SEG calls
- Background document to Agenda item 5: Shipping activities in 1st draft SAO Report to Ministers (20 Nov 20)-PAME WP 2021-2023
- Background document: New applications for consultative status for the International Maritime Organization, including ICC
- Proposed meeting times for the SEG Monthly calls:
- Tuesday, Feb. 16 at 10:00 a.m. EST
- Wednesday, March 17 at 9:00 a.m. EST
- Wednesday, April 14 at 9:30 a.m. EST
- Thursday, May 13 at 10:00 a.m. EST
- Wednesday, June 9 at 9:00 a.m. EST
- Tuesday, July 6 at 9:30 a.m. EST
- Wednesday, August 11 at 10:00 a.m. EST
- Wednesday, September 8 at 9:00 a.m. EST
REDEG Expert Group (29 Jan and 1 February)Co-Chairs: Dennis Thurston/USA and Maureen Copley/Canada
- Friday 29 January: 15:30-17:00 (GMT 1.5 Hours)
- Monday 1 February: 16.00-17:30 (GMT, 1.5 hours)
PAME‘s GoToMeeting System #2
Documents: Summary will be provided under Plenary Agenda 7
- Agenda item 1a: MEMA Reference Guide
- Agenda item 1b: Status of Offshore Oil and Gas Activities Survey Compilation (4 February update)
- Agenda item 2: REDEG Terms of Reference (PAME 2021-2023 Work Plan)
- Agenda item 3a: Draft Mema Outreach and Next Steps
- Background document: Draft MEMA brochure layout
- Agenda item 3b: Management of Arctic Marine Oil and Gas Associated Noise - Project proposal for 2021-2023 Work plan
- Agenda item 3c: Update of the Arctic Offshore Oil and Gas Regulators Resource (AOOGRR) - Project proposal for 2021-2023 Work plan
- Agenda item 3d: Existing Best Practices for Marine and Coastal Mining - Project proposal for 2021-2023 Work plan
- Agenda item 3e: Update Guidance on Non-Emergency Offshore Oil and Gas Operations and Monitoring - Project proposal for 2021-2023 Work plan
Marine Litter Expert Group (1 and 2 FebruaryCo-Chairs: Elizabeth McLanahan/USA, Charlotte Mogensen/KoD and Anne Berteig/Norway
- Monday 1 February: 14:00-16:00 (GMT, 2 hours)
- Tuesday 2 February: 14:00- 17:00 (GMT 3 hours)
PAME‘s GoToMeeting System #1
Documents: Summary will be provided under Plenary Agenda 9
- ML EG pre-meeting agenda (1-2 Feb)-version 19 Jan
- ML Pre-Meeting (1-2 Feb) registrations-50 participants
- Regional Action Plan on Marine Litter in the Arctic, final draft (7 Jan version)
- Agenda item 9.2.1: Project proposals:
- Agenda item 9.2.2.: Project proposal: Implementation Plan for the Regional Action Plan on Marine Litter in the Arctic
Plenary Meeting Documents
PAME I-2021 Plenary Meeting (4 and 5 February)
Chairing: Paula Kankaanpaa (PAME Chair)
- Thursday 4-Friday: 14.00-17.00 (GMT, 3 hours)
- Friday 5 February: 14.00-17.00 (GMT, 3 hours)
PAME‘s GoToMeeting System #1
Agenda Item 1 - Opening of the meetingNo documents
Agenda Item 2 - Introduction and Adoption of the AgendaPlenary draft agenda and meeting logistics, version 15 January 2021
Agenda Item 3 - Information from the Chair and the Secretariat
- Agenda item 3.3: Draft Russian Arctic Council Chairmanship Program (Confidential - do not distribute)
- Agenda item 3.4: India's research interests in the Arctic - information document
- PAME II-2020 Meeting Report
- PAME II-2020 RoDs
- SAO Report, Nov. 2019
- PAME 2019-2021 Work Plan
- PAME Achievements Report 2017-2019
- SAO Report to Ministers (May 2019)
- 2019 Rovaniemi Joint Ministerial Statement
- 2019 Rovaniemi Statement from the Finnish Chair of the Arctic Council
- Iceland Chairmanship Program 2019-2021
- Common Operating Guidelines for Working Groups
- Report from joint Arctic Council - Arctic Economic Council meeting (Oct. 2019)
- Arctic Council Observer Manual
- Arctic Council Rules of Procedures
- Arctic Council Guidelines for Relationships with Outside Bodies
- Arctic Council Communication Strategy (2018)
- Arctic Council Communications and Outreach Guidelines (2016)
- Quick Guide to the Arctic Council
- The Arctic Council: a backgrounder
Agenda Item 4 - Pan-Arctic Network of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs)Refer to pre-meeting documents.
- PAME MPA-network toolbox: Area-based conservation measures and ecological connectivity.
- CAFF/PAME Indicator Report on Arctic Protected Areas.
- Framework for a Pan-Arctic Network of Marine Protected Areas (April 2015)
- 1st MPA Workshop Report
- 2nd MPA workshop Report
- 3rd MPA Workshop Report
- 4th MPA Workshop Report
Agenda Item 5 - Protection from Invasive Species
- CAFF-PAME Project Proposal Marine Invasive Species-28 january 2021-CLEAN
- CAFF-PAME Project Proposal Marine Invasive Species-28 january 2021-Track Changes
Agenda Item 6 - Arctic Marine Shipping Assessment follow-up activitiesRefer to pre-meeting documents.
- AMSA Final Report (2009)
- 4th AMSA Implementation Progress Report for the period 2015-2017
- Arctic Ocean Review (AOR) Final Report (2013)
Agenda Item 7 - Arctic Offshore Resource Exploration and DevelopmentRefer to pre-meeting documents.
- Meaningful Engagement of Indigenous Peoples and Communities in Marine Activities (MEMA) Part II Report.
- Meaningful Engagement of Indigenous Peoples and Communities in Marine Activities (MEMA) Part I Report.
- MEMA Workshop Report.
Agenda Item 8 - Ecosystem-based Approach to ManagementRefer to pre-meeting documents.
- The 2017 – 2019 Progress Report of the Joint Ecosystem Approach Expert Group (EA-EG).
- Guidelines for Implementing an Ecosystem Approach to Management of Arctic Marine Ecosystems (May 2019).
- Status of Implementation of the Ecosystem Approach to Management in the Arctic.
Agenda Item 9 - Arctic Marine PollutionRefer to pre-meeting documents.
Background documents (agenda item 9.1 - Marine litter):
- Desktop study on Marine Litter, including microplastics, in the Arctic (May 2019)
- ML-RAP Expert Group nominations
Agenda Item 10 - Preparations for the 2021 Ministerial Meeting and Arctic Marine Strategic Plan (AMSP) Implementation Reporting
Agenda item 10.1: Arctic Marine Strategic Plan (AMSP)
- 3rd AMSP Implementation Report 2019-2021 final draft 15 Jan 2021
- AMSP Updating Project Plan, revised version 15 Jan 2021
Agenda item 10.1 Background documents:
- AMSP Tracking Tool Matrix (Excel Spreadsheet)
- AMSP Implementation Progress Report 2017-2019
- AMSP 2015-2025
- AMSP Implementation Plan
Agenda item 10.2: Review and agree to the PAME Achievements (2019-2021) section in the SAO Report to Ministers, including a list of PAME deliverables to the Ministerial meeting.
- PAME Achivements 2019-2021 for SAO Report Ministers-working document-revised 18 Jan
- List of PAME deliverables to the 2021 Ministerial-section is PAME Achievements 2019-2021
- Agenda 10.3(a): PAME WP 2021-2023 for SAO Report Ministers-working document-revised 2 Feb
- Agenda 10.3(b): PAME Work Plan 2021-2023 longer version-working document version 18 Jan
Agenda item 10.3: Templates for Arctic Council publications
- PAME I-2021 list of participants-166 registrations as of 2 Feb 2021
- List of Documents, as of 22 January